The Bakery Supervisor (BS) is responsible for managing the operations of the bakery to maximize the bread and baked goods sales, profitability and customer satisfaction. The BS carries out the daily output baking, production, and display of bakery products.
- Communicate the raw materials required at the bakery to the Commercial Team for ordering
- Ensure raw materials for bakery are of good quality
- Prepare bakery items following the specifications given by the Commercial Team
- Works with the Commercial Team in developing and producing sample products for bakery.
- Carrie out all the whole pre-bake process and preparation, including making the dough/premix for the production of bread and baked goods
- Follow and controls adherence to the recipe book
- Use the machinery correctly and professionally, and ensures the right techniques are applied (temperature, baking time, )
- Maintain accurate production schedules and production sheets
- Conducts daily bread checks
- Manage a daily production schedule for bakery program to ensure adequate supply and back stock of baked goods
- Monitor and control staff use of relevant resources and tools for production (i.e. oven chart, weigh-up guides, tray up sheet, )
- Monitor production staff to ensure adherence to toppings and weight measures according to recipe book.
- Estimates baked goods consumption in order to anticipate amounts to be purchased or requisitioned
- Carry out stock takings in order to avoid any discrepancies
- Calculate prices of outside bakery products to meet margin goals, informing the store manager of changes
- Maintain a comprehensive bakery selection and special order bakery menu with wide appeal to keep selection fresh and inviting for customers
- Coordinate special seasonal displays, demos, promotions and orders
- Monitor movement reports to increase sales and margins, and to reduce labor costs
- Visit other stores for price comparisons, product and merchandising ideas
- Coordinates launch of new bakery products
- Reviews and consults with store manager on weekly targets.
- Clean the machinery according to the guidelines and HACCP rules
- Maintain the bakery in a sanitary & orderly condition, following HACCP guidelines
- Follow and enforces safety and storage procedures
- Work with the commercial team to monitor bakery food temperatures as required and takes necessary corrective action when needed to ensure food safety.
- Greet and assists customers in a prompt, friendly and courteous manner offers tastes, samples, suggestions to customers
- Report customer suggestions, comments, and complaints to store manager
- Perform other tasks as assig
- Engage the bakery team to deliver operational excellence and strong teamwork through inspirational leadership
- Train and develops staff in production machinery use, systems, processes and the recipe book
- Organize and conducts regular bakery team meetings to discuss bakery performance, issues, and changes with bakery staff
- Encourage and inspires the team to maximize sales and to achieve the other goals and make suggestions to enhance performances which drive to better results
- Designate shift schedules of each employee based on the coverage needs of the bakery
- Create a positive and an empowering working environment resulting in team retention
- Communicates the business and store objectives clearly to the team to ensure the team remains well informed about the department activities
- Ensures the team is aware of their required contribution to the set objectives/kpis
- Reports to the store manager
- Reports in a professional way to improve the business
- Leads and attends the meetings according to the meeting structur
- HND/BSC in Food management, food science or any food related course
- Good experience working in the food production or food retail industry, especially in the bakery department.
- Knowledge of how to prepare baked goods (bread, cakes, pastries, cookies, )
- Able to prepare baked goods in large quantities
- Knowledge of relevant food safety legislations and haccp rules
- Good understanding of the meaning of food quality and freshness
- Have high standards of cleanliness and the ability to adhere to strict hygiene rules
- Adept at finding best practices for production
- Strong interpersonal and commercial skills
- Understands (local) customer tastes, behaviors and the effect on sales
- Energy, drive and a strong can-do attitude (getting-it-done mentality)
- A desire for continuous food improvement and professional development.
Required Skills & Expertise Knowledge of how to prepare baked goods (bread, cakes, pastries, cookies, )
Job Sector Consumer Goods
Employment Type Full Time
Years of Experience 3 - 5 years